Another Budleigh Salterton fire is arson

Second at same property in five days

Two small fires within five days at Greenhaven sheltered properties in Budleigh Salterton are being investigated as arson by police. The 24 flats are owned by East Devon District Council who are working alongside the police and fire service who were called out to both incidents.

The first fire was in the early hours of Friday 24 July when a recycling box at the entrance to some of the flats was set alight. The fire burnt out a recycling storage box, an outside light and some UPVC cladding on the front of the building. There was a partial evacuation of residents and nobody was injured. District council housing officers were at the site during Friday to give reassurance to tenants and to assess the damage.

Police are linking this arson to six other fires in Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton over recent weeks.

On Wednesday the alarm was raised again at Greenhaven when a fire was discovered coming from an external gas mains which had been deliberately set alight. A police officer passing by on patrol noticed the fire and bravely tackled the blaze with a fire extinguisher he had in his patrol vehicle.

The fire service evacuated residents whilst gas engineers ensured the gas main was made safe. No-one was hurt.  Council housing officers are on site today providing reassurance to residents. Police and the fire service were also at the scene as part of their investigations.

Police have yet to make a statement about this particular fire.

The council is asking all housing tenants in East Devon to be vigilant following a number of fires in Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton. Tenants are asked to ensure all fire doors, communal entrance doors and bin store doors are kept shut and locked where possible and that all communal hallway areas are clear of any items. Tenants are advised to put out their recycling and waste as late as possible before collection.

Please report anything suspicious to the police by calling 101, quoting the crime reference number CR/61698/20 or in an emergency call 999.

More from Local News

Radio Exe: Local News